Sunday, May 24, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Have you ever heard of Jonathan Edwards? Here’s a snippet about him from Wikipedia. “Jonathan Edwards (October 5, 1703March 22, 1758) was a colonial American Congregational preacher, theologian, and missionary to Native Americans. Edwards "is widely acknowledged to be America's most important and original philosophical theologian"[1]. He is known as one of the greatest and most profound of American theologians and revivalists.” What an awesome guy! He gives a completely new understanding of resolutions that he read over ever week. Take a look at some that I have copied here:



1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great soever.


2. Resolved, to be continually endeavoring to find out some new invention and contrivance to promote the aforementioned things.


3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.


4. Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.


5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.


6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.


7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.


8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God


28. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same


31. Resolved, never to say anything at all against anybody, but when it is perfectly agreeable to the highest degree of Christian honor, and of love to mankind, agreeable to the lowest humility, and sense of my own faults and failings, and agreeable to the golden rule; often, when I have said anything against anyone, to bring it to, and try it strictly by the test of this Resolution


33. Resolved, always to do what I can towards making, maintaining, establishing and preserving peace, when it can be without over-balancing detriment in other respects. Dec.26, 1722


52. I frequently hear persons in old age say how they would live, if they were to live their lives over again: Resolved, that I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age. July 8, 1723


58. Resolved, not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretfulness, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness and benignity. May27, and July 13, 1723


67. Resolved, after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them



HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments: