Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hallelujah! What a Savior!


For a while, I didn’t like hymns to much. They seemed dull and stuffy. Now I adore them. The words are so beautiful and deep. I really like to play them on my trumpet every now and then. Here are a few commemorating our risen Savior and the salvation He has given to us. 







Hallelujah! What a Savior! (Philip Bliss, 1875)


Man of Sorrows! What a name for the Son of God who came

ruined sinners to reclaim. Hallelujah! What a Savior!



Bearing shame and scoffing rude, in my place condemned he stood;

sealed my pardon with his blood. Hallelujah! What a Savior!



Guilty, vile and helpless we; spotless Lamb of God was he;

full atonement can it be? Hallelujah! What a Savior!



Lifted up was he to die; “It is finished!” was his cry;

now in heaven exalted high. Hallelujah! What a Savior!



When he comes, our glorious King, all his ransomed home to bring, then anew this song we’ll sing. Hallelujah! What a Savior!



____________________________________________________________


When I survey the wondrous cross  (Isaac Watts 1674-1748)


When I survey the wondrous cross On which the Prince of Glory died, My richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride.



Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, Save in the death of Christ my God; All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood.



See, from his head, his hands, his feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down; Did e’er such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown. 



Were the whole realm of nature mine, That were an offering fare too small; Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all. 


____________________________________________________________


 (We listened to these last two so much in Lebanon! I cannot hear these without crying.)



The Power of the Cross  (Stuart Townend)


Oh, to see the dawn of darkest day, Christ on the road to Calvary

Tried by sinful man, torn and beaten there, nailed to a cross of wood. This the power of the cross, Christ became sin for us, took the blame, bore the wrath, we stand forgiven at the cross. 



Oh, to see the pain written on your face bearing the awesome weight of sin. Every bitter thought, every evil deed, crowing your blood stained brow. This, the power of the cross, Christ became sin for us, took the blame, bore the wrath, we stand forgiven at the cross.



Now the daylight flees, now the ground beneath quakes as its maker bows his head. Curtain torn in two, dead are raised to life, “Finished, ”the victory cry! This the power of the cross, Christ became sin for us, took the blame, bore the wrath, we stand forgiven at the cross.



Oh, to see my name written in the wounds, for through your suffering I am free. Death is death crushed to death. life is mine to live, what through your selfless love. This the power of the cross, Son of God, slain for us, What a love! What a cross! We stand forgiven at the cross. 



Beneath the Cross  (Keith and Kristyn Getty)


Beneath the cross of Jesus I find a place to stand 

And wonder at such mercy that calls me as I am. 

For hands should that should discard me, 

hold me wounds which tell me come. 

Beneath the cross of Jesus my unworthy soul is won.



Beneath the cross of Jesus, His family is my own. 

Once strangers chasing selfish dreams now one through grace alone. How could I now dishonor the ones that you have loved. 

Beneath the cross of Jesus see the children called by God. 



Beneath the cross of Jesus the path before the crown, 

we follow in his footsteps where promised Hope is found.

 How great the joy before us, to be his perfect bride. 

Beneath the cross of Jesus we will gladly live our lives.

No comments: