Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The French Chef: Getting The Onion Out

I have stumbled upon a great treasure. We subscribe to Amazon Prime and one of the perks is the ability to view many old movies and tv shows. I've been able to watch Downton Abbey, All Creatures Great and Small, Antiques Road Show, Star Trek: The Next Generation (did I really just sdmit that?) and Thomas the Train for Wesley. And to my great delight I've found The French Chef, Julia Child's cooking show! Ive kearned so much from her just by watching 3 episodes! So I thought I'd share some tidbits that I learn from her from time to time. Here's the first.

Julia says that after chopping onions, rubbing your hands with salt and then washing them makes the onion smell go away.

So, I tried it and it worked! It only takes a little salt, maybe half a teaspoon or less. I didn't measure; I just sprinkled some in the palm of my hand, spread it around, especially at the finger tips where the pungency seems to be the worst. Then I gave my hands a rinse. There was no lingering onion odor. Hurray!

I can't wait to see what else I learn.

No comments: