Monday, December 6, 2010

Taylor's Table - Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken and Root Vegetables

I decided to finally cook one of the butternut squash I grew this year. I used some of it to make some baby food purees for Wes but I still had a lot left over. So I made something up! I had tasted a butternut squash bisque for babies that my neighbor makes as a business and thought it was delicious! I wanted to make something similar. This recipe was inspired by that baby food with a few additions! Don't be squeamish though. Give it a try first. I think you will really be pleased. The ingredients and directions may be a bit vague because I made this on the fly with what I had in the fridge.

  • butter or olive oil (I think butter gives it a creamier flavor)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 parsnip, chopped (If you don't have this, you can leave it out but I think it adds a distinct and unique flavor to this soup!)
  • 4 cups chicken broth? (I am not exactly sure how much broth I added!)
  • 2 large new potatoes, cut up in 1 inch pieces and boiled or steamed.
  • 2 cups or more butternut squash puree (I peeled the squash, cut it into pieces, cooked until soft, then mashed with a potato masher - or you can cut in half, lay cut side down in pan with a bit of water and cook at 350 until tender)
  • 1 cup applesauce or cooked apples
  • 1/2 - 1 cup shredded chicken
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2 TBS butter
  • Parmesan Cheese

Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions, carrots and parsnip and saute until tender. Add broth to the sauteed veggies. Add cooked potatoes, butternut squash, apples and chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. You may need to add more broth. Then puree with an immersion blender. Be careful not to burn yourself and wear and apron! When you are ready to serve the soup, add 2 TBS butter. Garnish with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Enjoy with a hunk of hardy bread and apple cider. ***This tastes even better left over!

* Thanks Randi for your inspiration!!!! :)


No comments: