Monday, June 29, 2015

Favorite Breakfast Recipes, Part 2

Hi Again!

I didn't get back to my blog as soon as I wanted but it is better than it has been!

Here are some more of our favorite everyday breakfast fares. These are eggy breakfasts. I wanted to put a picture of the breakfast pie but alas, that didn't work out. I put it in the oven, went upstairs and 2 1/2 hours later (this was in the evening) came down and heard the oven beeping. Needless to say it was toast and definitely not picture worthy. Eric said it looked like fudge brownies!

Breakfast Pie
This is a delicious unique "pie" that we first ate at the Eastholm Bed & Breakfast in Cascade, Co, just west of Colorado Springs, at the base of Pike's Peak. I asked for the recipe because I liked it so much and the owner gave it to me! It is really easy to make. We eat it about once a month or so and I've also made it for brunch-time baby showers. When I make it at home, I usually half the recipe, unless we have company or if I make it on the weekends now. Half the recipe is enough for the kids and I, but not enough if Eric is with us, especially if we want leftovers. Wesley can eat as much or more than I do at times! I have also made this with almond meal and gluten-free flour in place of the flour in the Bisquick. I like to serve this with bacon.

Ingredients
1 stick of butter
2 lbs small curd cottage cheese (4 cups)
6 eggs
6T sugar (I use only half that)
1 cup Bisquick (my homemade version - 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 TBS butter)

Melt butter & pour over cottage cheese in a large bowl. Add eggs, sugar and Bisquick, mixing well after each addition. Pour entire mixture into a 3 qt rectangular pyrex dish (lightly greased). Sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar, if desired. Bake at 350 F fro 45 minutes. Cut into squares & serve with fresh berries or fruit topped with plain or vanilla yogurt.

Family Omelet with Spinach and Cheddar
This is one I had forgotten about but made again recently. It is so easy that I'm going to put it back into the breakfast rotation. The original directions use parchment lining a sheet pan to roll up the omelet, but I find that takes too many steps so I changed it some.

Ingredients
Olive Oil for pan
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour (almond meal or other substitutes are fine)
8 large eggs
1 TBS Dijon mustard
salt & pepper to taste
8 oz frozen spinach, thawed & drained (about 1 cup)
1-1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with olive oil. In a bowl whisk together milk and flour. Add eggs, Dijon, 1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper. Pour into pan. Sprinkle spinach on top. Bake until edges are set 15-18 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar and bake for 6-9 minutes. Slice and serve. This is also good with bacon and/or toast or muffins.

Omelets
You probably don't need a recipe for this. But maybe someone out there is like me. I've tried all kinds of recipes for making omelets and none of them really turned out very pretty and were too complicated for this no-fuss-please cook. However, lately I found a simple recipe in a book called The Everlasting Meal. And also, my father in law makes good omelets. I've learned some from him too!

Ingredients
Butter
eggs
a bit of cream
cheese of your choice, shredded or thinly sliced
other ingredients as desired (red onion, peppers, chives, basil, mint, bacon, etc)
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in your pan. In a small bowl or measuring cup, beat desired amount of eggs with a bit of cream. Pour into your pan and scramble around a bit and then let it spread out. Then pull the sides away so that runny egg can run to the edges. Once all the runny part has set, add your other ingredients as desired. I sometimes cook the red onion before I cook the omelets. (I'm really in love with red onions at the moment!) Then lower the temp a bit (or take off the heat if you have an awful electric stove like mine), cover the pan with a lid for a bit to ensure the top of your omelet gets cooked through without burning the bottom (I still over cook the bottom a lot!). Then fold in half and slip onto a plate. Yummy!

NOTE: For my children, I only make 1-egg omelets. These are easier and super quick! I simply crack an egg in the pan, stir it around a bit with some cream (or I just leave it out) and let the runny parts fill in. I sprinkle with cheese and maybe some chives or garlic and fold it in half and serve.










No comments: