Monday, March 7, 2011

Lessons Learned As A New Mom - Part 3

5. Pick 5 or 6 really important things to you right now that you want to do with regularity and stick with those. They may change over time, or as you feel more comfortable, you may add some things, but for now get those done and if you have time for the rest, fine. Right now these things for me are: 1. Spending time with the Lord. 2. Loving my family - spending some time with them everyday. 3. Keeping down clutter - clutter stresses me out. 4. Making dinner at a decent time without rushing. 5. Wesley’s naps, which means keeping some semblance of a schedule. 6. Time outside and /or time with friends either on the phone, visiting or emailing.


6. Squeeze in time to get enough sleep and to do what you enjoy - This helps a ton! Often in the afternoon I need to stop and rest but I don't. I feel so much better when I do though.


7. Routines are important for all involved, and I highly encourage them. You need them and babies need them. To - do lists are wonderful and I highly encourage them also. Keep your routine and to-do list simple. If you find by some strange chance that you have extra time, you don’t necessarily need to fill it up with something else to-do. See #6!


Recently, I cut out a lot of stuff and it has been wonderful and freeing. I had/still have, a huge mound of projects to accomplish (and which continues to grow in my mind!) but I decided to put them on the back burner just to figure out life a little bit, like a season of stillness, and actually do some thinking without feeling like I am always behind and stressed because I still have “this much” left on my project list. So now I move through my daily routine, getting my simple to-do list done and then, as I have time, I work on ONE project. When I finish it, I work on the next. This is VERY hard for me! I tend to have 5 projects going at the same time and 5 more I am thinking up in m y head!


And, sometimes the routine and the to-do lists just need to be tossed for the day - literally, in the trash or crossed off in your head. Tomorrow is a new day. Unless absolutely necessary, don’t try to do tomorrow what you couldn’t do today. Then you will have two days of lists that don’t get done!


8. Relish in motherhood and enjoy your home, embrace simplicity in life - This is a beautiful, if challenging, season in your life, each season with your child. They really do grow up so fast! I have struggled with needing adventure in my life, feeling restless for years unless I’m doing something outrageous and sometimes dangerous. So, even though being at home as a mommy is at the very top of my list of things I’ve always wanted to do in life, it has been challenging to be content. Lately, God has been opening my eyes to the adventure of motherhood, to see the joy of each day rather than the monotony of it sometimes, to praise Him in all the small things. And despite my desire for adventure, I guess I am naturally a bit of a homebody. I know, I am a walking contradiction!


I do like to get out from time to time though. However, I find that getting out usually means something will be bought or planning up something in my head that will stress me out down the road. It usually means that I get distracted from what really matters like getting Wes to eat and down for a nap and being home in time for a peaceful lunch with Eric or getting dinner on the table at a decent time without rushing, or in general not stressing myself by putting too much in my day. To go along with what I said in #7, I find it necessary to cut out what isn’t necessary so that I can really enjoy this season and not see it fly by and/or live in it full of stress and disorder. Take time to listen to the wind blow, to watch the snowfall, to sing to your little one just because, to go for a slow, long walk with your little one just because you want to - not because you have to to get exercise. This is part of the adventure in this life with our Lord and part of your purpose as a Mommy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Mels. You have summed up motherhood thus far very well. Please, please enjoy each day/season you have with Wes. They pass so quickly. I still miss the times I had with Eric and Nathan - though - at the time I was often stressed and feeling like I was not accomplishing all that I should. God has given you and Eric - and all of us - such a priceless gift!!!!! You both are doing an awesome job with Wes. Love you all, Sharl