Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In His Rest

Every time we lay Wesley down for a nap or bedtime we pat him on the back or side for a few minutes to settle him. Lately, I've started patting some and then just resting a slightly firm hand on his back or shoulder or bottom to help settle him more.

The other day I was thinking about this with regards to our walk with Jesus. I know the Bible speaks of resting in Him and of His hand upon us. He wants us to rest in Him but so often I squirm and fuss and try to keep my eyes open so to speak. I think very often in my life God is gently saying, "Shh" to me and pushing a little more with His hand to make me rest in Him. The difference between me patting Wes and putting my hand on him and God's hand on us is that I don't stay there for his entire nap! However, God's hand is always upon us. He is so trustworthy and such a good, good Father. I pray that I won't fight against Him so much with my fears, worries, anxieties, complaints, fussing and my tendency to need to be in control of all things at all times. I think God is seriously trying to break me of that and to trust and rest in Him always.

Here's a song we sang in church a few weeks ago. The words are quite fitting for our life right now.

Petition - Anne Steele, Sandra McCracken, Chelsey Scott

"Give me a calm, a thankful heart,
From every murmur free,
The blessings of thy grace impart,
And make me live to Thee.

You raise your hand to still the storms
That rage inside my head;
Revive my heart with gratitude,
Love, quell my doubt and dread.

Give me a sure and rested soul,
From every fear relieved,
Thy Spirit's power and presence mine,
To ever comfort me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric, Mels and WEsley - you are in our thoughts and prayers and in the thoughts and prayers of many at Holiay Island and in Newkirk. Please find rest in the arms of God. We love you dearly. Sharl